Saturday, December 7, 2013

A SHORT HISTORY OF RIGHT WING DESTRUCTION PART 42

We're a little over two weeks from another Christmas and Republicans are demonstrating their affinity with Dickens' character Ebeneezer Scrooge or Mr. Potter in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life."  But they are good Christians all.

I will be among those people hurt severely if emergency unemployment benefits are not extended.  I have been working, but like lots of Americans I have a job that doesn't pay enough to survive if you have things like bills, rent, and need to buy food.  I would love to be in a situation where I could survive without unemployment, but I am not.

The Republican policy of socking it to the poor and working class is not only callous and cruel, it's idiotic from an economic standpoint.  I have already reduced my spending out of necessity.  Without the help of unemployment I will have even less money to spend.  Multiply that by a factor of millions and it's a major drag on the economy.

Republicans are never shy about tax breaks or subsidies for the very rich and for corporations, but it's anathema to them to do anything for working class people.  Ultimately, it is working class people who make this country work.

If karma is a reality, then Republicans are going to face a bleak future.

More to come